Thursday, July 06, 2006

SBC President Makes a Candid and Refreshing Statement

In a Baptist Press article on Wednesday, July 5th entitled "FIRST PERSON: Give Him the Glory!", SBC President Frank Page made a candid and refreshing statement:

"Let us give credit where credit is due. The Bible says it well, to Him be glory! Let us repent of taking credit from the Lord. Let us repent of thinking that we have actually done anything good as a result of our own power and strength. Let us seek forgiveness from God for our selfishness and our lack of cooperation. Let us ask Him to cleanse us for actually thinking that we have done a great job when, in reality, we have failed in so many crucial ways. In other words, let us see things more clearly and in more honest light than every before!"

Admittedly, I had reservations about Dr. Page based only on his little book entitled, "The Trouble with the Tulip" in which Page asserted that the doctrines associated with Calvinism are man made doctrines and are unbiblical and dangerous for evangelism and missions. Dr. Page's assertions against Calvinism are all to familiar but continue to fall short of consistent biblical hermeneutics. Okay, I had some reservations.

However, I must confess that I am very encouraged and refreshed by what I have read in this article. It is refreshing to see humility and repentance expressed by the President of the SBC. I cannot help but believe that the SBC has real hope for revival and ongoing reformation when our denominational leaders actually acknowledge our complete dependence on God and express repentance for our failure to give Him the glory in all things.

Whatever happens in the near future of the SBC, this can only be a positive step for us all.

3 Comments:

Blogger Pastor Michael Huffman said...

Chris-

Read my response to Peter on my blog to better define my view of the Church and what is the requirment for entrance and comment as to what you think.

God Bless You, Brother.
www.faithdefense.blogspot.com

Michael

9:14 AM  
Blogger peter lumpkins said...

Dear Christopher,

I appreciate your very positive remarks concerning Dr. Frank Page. And, though with you, I have not personally met him, he seems to have a heart for God, a heart for God's glory, a heart for unbelievers and a heart for the SBC.

Unlike you, however, I have not read his little volume on Calvinism. Perhaps I will in the future. I plan to profile Roger Olson's newest book on Arminianism: Myths & Realities on my blog in a couple of weeks. I have an interim post about it on my current blog.

I trust to see great things ahead for your blog, Brother. Have a great evening. With that, I am...

Peter

p.s I'm hoping to launch the new site at www.sbctomorrow.com by Aug 1

6:49 PM  
Blogger GeneMBridges said...

Welcome to the blogosphere, Chris!

8:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home