Thursday, September 07, 2006

Total Depravity and Prevenient Grace

I just came across a new blog that I've not previously read. The author does a good job introducing the subject of Total depravity and prevenient grace. This is especially helpful for those who are new to the study of theology and in particular the study of salvation.

The author of the blog notes only a couple of texts that speak of Total depravity and total inability. I would hasten to add the teaching of Jesus in John 6:44, "No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draw him and I will raise him up at the last day."

Additionally, we affirm that as a result of sin, man is corrupted in body, mind, and will.

Body - "O' wretched man that I am, who will deliver me from this body of death." (Rom 7:24)

Mind - "Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be." (Rom 8:7) also, "But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned." (1 Cor 2:14)

Will - "No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draw him and I will raise him up at the last day." (John 6:44) also, "...who were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God." (John 1:13) and, "So then it is not of him who wills, nor of him who runs, but of God who shows mercy." (Rom 9:16)

Because of this corruption of sin, total depravity, God must change man from the inside, supernaturally, by grace through the work of the new birth.

"And you He made alive who were dead in trespasses and sins" (Eph 2:1)

"Jesus answered and said to him, 'Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.'" (John 3:3)

There could be a larger treatment given to the subject but this is still worth reading. The blog I referred to is found here: http://joshbuice.blogspot.com/2006/04/pauls-theology-total-depravity-or.html

Blessings,
Chris

2 Comments:

Blogger Josh Buice said...

Bro. Christopher,

Thank you for your kind words concerning my blog. It is my goal - along with others who work along side me - to glorify God and honor His name through the study of theology. My blog should reflect this, and where it does not reflect this, I hope to make necessary changes!

Yes, I should have put more emphasis on John 6:44, but I was seeking to show the depth of depravity and guilt of mankind rather than focusing on the ability or inability of mankind. Depravity does effect all of our being from mental to physical, therefore, we are unable to come to God unless we are drawn to Him!

May God bless you as you exalt the name of Christ.

Rev. Josh Buice
http://www.joshbuice.blogspot.com
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
http://www.ptdc.blogspot.com

8:49 PM  
Blogger Christopher Redman said...

Josh,

I'm glad to make your acquaintance. I'll check your site from time to time.

Blessings,

Chris

12:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home