Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Paige Patterson stated, "I see no biblical evidence for Irresistible Grace." Hugh?

During the Pastor's Conference at the SBC in Greensboro, NC, Dr's Paige Patterson and Al Mohler discussed "Reaching the World through differing views of election". I've been waiting for someone to point out some of the inconsistency's espoused by Dr. Patterson but have not yet seen anyone do so. This post is in no way intended to insult Dr. Patterson. He is a fellow Christian, a man of God, articulate, educated and we owe Dr. Patterson a great deal of respect. He is truly "worthy of double honor".

However, may I embark on the difficult task of trying to figure out what in the world Dr. Patterson meant when he stated, "I see no biblical evidence for Irresistible Grace." Is Dr. Patterson's position such that when God's will and man's will collide that man wins? Let's ask Jonah about that, or Nebuchadnezzar, or Pharaoh, or for that matter, me.

I don't recall the Apostle Paul sitting on the side of the Damascus road struggling to decide whether to believe in Jesus Christ or not while the choir sang 10 stanzas of "Just As I Am". And what did Jesus say of Paul's conversion? "But the Lord said to him, 'Go, for he is a chosen vessel of Mine...'" (Acts 9:15) And what did Paul say of his own conversion? "But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother's womb and called me through His grace, to reveal His Son in me, that I might preach Him among the Gentiles..." (Galatians 1:15-16)

Now let's be clear. Irresistible Grace does not mean that God's grace, God's will, or God's Spirit is not and can not be resisted. The reality is that we all resist His grace, daily. The point is that when God wills to overcome our sinful resistance, He does so and He saves. Make no mistake, this doctrine is nothing less than the power of God to save undeserving sinners by and for the "glory of His grace" (Eph 1:5-6)

I suppose that my primary problem with Dr. Patterson's position boils down to this question, "How does God save sinners through the gospel of Jesus Christ?" Dr. Patterson would probably say, (I am presuming such) "God brings conviction on the sinner so that they are made to choose according to their will to accept or reject Jesus Christ." But, salvation is not according to the will of man! (When's the last time you heard that from a preacher?)

Let me get down to my main point and then share some biblical passages on the doctrine of Irresistible Grace. Because of sin, man is spiritually dead and incapable of saving Himself. He is not neutral and does not want to be saved but rather always rebels and turns aside to his own way. God's grace and power in salvation is manifested through the Holy Spirit awakening the dead sinner to "see the kingdom of God" (John 3:3) and then willfully "enter the kingdom of God" (John 3:5) by coming to Christ. This is called regeneration or being "born again". It is not according to the will of man (John 1:13, Rom 9:11, 16). It is only according to God's free and sovereign grace given to whomever He wills to give it. (Rom 9:15, 18) Jesus spoke of being "drawn" by the Father (John 6:44) and "calling" His sheep by name (John 10:3, 26-29). Paul used the term "called" in Romans 8:30, "Moreover, whom He predestined, these He also called, and whom He called, these He also justified, and whom He justified, these He also glorified." This calling is not general to all men equally but is "irresistible" or "effectual" producing salvation because all whom He predestined, He called and He justified and glorified. Jesus said, "All that the Father gives to Me will come to Me...and this is the will of the Father who sent Me, that of all He has given Me, I should lose nothing but should raise it up at the last day." (John 6:37, 39)

Remember Paul's testimony? "When it pleased God, who...called me by His grace". Paul spoke of our "Holy Calling" in 2 Timothy 1:8b-9 "...the gospel according to the power of God, who has saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace which was given to us in Christ Jesus before time began." Paul told Titus that our salvation is "not by works of righteousness which we have done but according to His mercy He saved us, through the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit...having been justified by His grace..." (Titus 3:5, 7)

Let me close with Jesus' words in John 8:34, 36. "Jesus answered them, 'Most assuredly, I say to you, whoever commits sin is a slave of sin...Therefore, if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed." The biggest word in this text is "if". "If the Son makes you free..." meaning that God is under no obligation to save anyone much less everyone. When the fallen angels sinned and fell, God gave them no reprieve, no atonement, no grace, and no mercy. He could have done the same to every fallen son of Adam. This doctrine is not superficial but absolutely necessary to the proper understanding of the gospel truth. Rightly understood, it produces humility and godly fear which, by the way, is the beginning of wisdom.

If you are reading this post and have never trusted in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior, I plead with you in the name of Jesus Christ, turn from your sins, flee the wrath of God to come, call upon the Lord for mercy, and look to Jesus Christ in faith believing that He died on the cross in your place and rose from the dead to give you everlasting life. For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved!

21 Comments:

Blogger Wayne Smith said...

Christopher,

I thank you for posting the TRUTH of GOD'S WORD. Also the lead on Steve Camp's Blog.


A brother in CHRIST

1:34 AM  
Blogger Wayne Smith said...

ALL,
I would recommend you read the all the post on this new Blog, TO THE GLORY OF GOD.

http://concernedsbcer.blogspot.com/

A Brother in CHRIST

1:38 AM  
Blogger GeneMBridges said...

Did you also catch it when he said that we believe because of an "effectual call?" Well, if there is an effectual call, then how is there no irresistible grace, since "effectual call" is synonymous with "irresisible grace." Listen to the DL from Tuesday with James White. He plays the recording. I believe Dr. Patterson let that one slip in his answer to the questions.

4:15 AM  
Blogger 4given said...

Mr. Bridges... exactly.
I call that dancing... and I did not know that was permissable. :-)

Good post.

8:44 AM  
Blogger Christopher Redman said...

I tend to believe that Dr. Patterson knows that "Irresistible Grace" and "Effectual Calling" are the same. Additionally, the BFM and the Abstracts affirm regeneration preceeding one's faith and justification.

If Dr. Patterson knows this, and he does, why state, "I see no biblical evidence for Irresistible Grace"?

9:32 AM  
Blogger Bob Cleveland said...

For a lot of years, I heard that the Holy Spirit was a gentleman and would not violate your free will. I heard that as a Methodist, a Presbyterian (yes I did) and a Baptist. I also heard He would not make you do something against your nature.

Happily, I found out that's just not true. I think it was an attempt to get people to witness and to play up a "user-friendly God" and play down that God might require some strong stuff from you.

Joseph Garlington preached a sermon called "God's Strange Ways" in which he pointed out lots of biblical examples of God running right over someone's (allegedly) free will, with startling results.

Man cannot do anything against his own nature. Like breathe water, fly like a bird, hibernate for 6 months in the winter like a bear, etc. And since the natural man cannot even conceive of spiritual things, it takes a sovereign move of God, overpowering man's nature, to save him in the first place.

10:45 AM  
Blogger 4given said...

I don't know savedandsure... sometimes when I make comments like that and think about it later, I regret it because it is taken wrong. I do not want people to think I am being too lighthearted about a serious subject. This is serious.
I have been accused of embracing the doctrines of men because I embrace the doctrines of grace. no.
No dancing here. And God-willing, no inconsistencies. If so, I want to have them pointed out.
I do appreciate especially the beginning of this post where it is noted that this is not intended as an insult. By far. It is important to communicate and work through concerns such as these for the glory of God.
Forgive my initial sarcasm. Such inconsistencies from respected men are waring. But then, I have much to learn.

11:11 AM  
Blogger Pastor Michael Huffman said...

Christopher-

Great post. John Calvin had an interesting dilemma that he used to write about; the difference between proof and persuasion. When debating someone, even someone that we respect, there is a vast difference between proof and persuasion. R.c Sproul said, "Someone convinced against their will, retains there former thinking still." We must use arguments of proof and not try to merely persuade the person that we are right. If we use proof and they still want to remain in the willful ignorance, brush the dust off and move on.

Chris, you did and excellent job of using proof and not persuasion, Great Job! I am not clear how a good Baptist could ever believe that the will of fallen Man, that can do nothing but choose evil, will ever be able to be more powerful that the sovereign will of God. We must reject this semi-Pelagian teaching. I am going, in the next few days, to have a post on my site regarding the Pelagius\Augustine debate of the fifth century.

Michael
www.faithdefense.blogspot.com

12:41 PM  
Blogger Pastor Michael Huffman said...

Chris-

See my new Blog

Michael

3:42 PM  
Blogger Gordan said...

Welcome to the blogosphere, brother.

Great post.

I know Grace is Irresistable first, because the Bible teaches it; and second, because I tried to resist it and was overcome. I am a captive of Christ, His spoils of war. Praise God!

6:26 PM  
Blogger peter lumpkins said...

Brothers,

On the one hand, the "irresistible" is "daily" resistible and on the other hand the resistible is irresistible.

Is it just me being irresistibly confused here or am I resisting the irresistible Truth of Scripture? At this point, I am simply going to resist the urge to comment on Patterson's lack of evidence for the irresistibility of God's grace and ponder it a while.

With that, I am...

Peter

6:52 AM  
Blogger Christopher Redman said...

Peter,

Always the wordsmith. The solution to your struggle - "The point is that when God wills to overcome our sinful resistance, He does so and He saves."

Is resurrection coercion? Is regeneration coercion?

CR

7:03 AM  
Blogger peter lumpkins said...

Brother Christopher,

I am still pondering but I will offer a firecracker which I am sure somebody will light: One of the inherent difficulties I see in standard answers often given by 5Pt Calvinists stems from their reductionistic approach to the Fall.

That is, inevitably, the "dead man" Scriptural image of unredeemed humanity seems always to be the absolute standard Calvinists employ when theologizing about our unredeemedness. The Eph.2.1ff approach.

And, while if I am faithful to Scriptural Authority--and I assure you I attempt to be--I must admit that, while I embrace Eph. 2.1, I must also consider what contrarily Scripture offers as a plethora of images--lostness, blindness, hardness, sickness, corruption, etc--none of which, by the way,necessarily imply deadness. In fact, I think it could reasonably be argued that some of them require liveness--sickness, for example.

Hence, perhaps Calvinists play reductionistic games, rather than soaking in the full richness of the Biblical description of unredeemed creatures, instead choosing those images that fit a pre-conceived 5Pt scheme. Siiiiiiiii...BANG!

Have a great day. With that, I am...

Peter

7:47 AM  
Blogger Christopher Redman said...

"play reductionistic games, rather than soaking in the full richness of the Biblical description of unredeemed creatures"

Well let's see here -

"but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die." (Gen 2:17)

"I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; I will take the heart of stone out of yoru flesh and give you are heart of flesh. I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you will keep My judgments and do them" (Ez 36:26-27)

"Jesus answered them, 'Most assuredly I say to you, whoever commits sin is a slave of sin.'" (John 8:34)

My brother Peter, how much "freedom" does a slave have? I must admit, I am not familiar with the text that says an unregenerate lost person is spiritually "sick". Will you be kind enough to give the reference?

CR

8:12 AM  
Blogger Christopher Redman said...

"I must also consider what contrarily Scripture offers as a plethora of images--lostness, blindness, hardness, sickness, corruption, etc--none of which, by the way,necessarily imply deadness."

May I also add, none of these necessarily reply "freedom" either.

CR

9:39 AM  
Blogger peter lumpkins said...

My Brother CR,

As for the "sickness" imagery in describing our unredeemedness, we could start with "asthenes" (Romans 5.6a), which is variously translated, "sick" (Mt. 25.43), "weak" (Mk.14.38), "unimpressive" (2Cor.10.10), all of which, by the way, necessarily assumes lifeness.

As for "none of these necessarily [imply] "freedom" either" I did not say they did.

With that, I am...

Peter

9:59 AM  
Blogger Christopher Redman said...

As you know well, the effects of sin has infected and corrupted our whole person: body, mind, and will. (Rom 7:24, 8:7; John 6:44)

To take a position that in one place the scripture says we are "dead" but this can't mean mean "dead" because we must have some life because we are also "without strength" and this somehow changes the reality of sins dominion and power over the sons of Adam and the consequence of spiritual death from sin is without foundation.

In context with your reference in Romans 5:6, let's continue to verse 12-14 - "Therefore, just as through one man sin entered the world and death through sin, and thus death spread to all men, because all sinned - for until the law sin was in the world, but sin is not imputed when there is no law. Nevertheless, death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over those who had not sinned according to the likeness of the transgression of Adam, who is a type of Him wo was to come."

Yes, my friend, I would say that because we were "dead" we were also "without strength" which is a result of being dead.

CR

10:23 AM  
Blogger peter lumpkins said...

brother, CR

Thanks for the two-step! With that, I am...

Peter

11:19 AM  
Blogger Christopher Redman said...

And the dance goes on...

1:26 PM  
Blogger Jerry Grace said...

Scripture Preacher Said

"Well, Patterson is still blind to the complete scriptural truth of the efficaciousness of God's grace in the salvation of sinners."

"He needs not human argumentation but divine grace that our Lord will, in His mercy, open his closed mind, blind eyes and deaf ears to the full truth
of God's grace that saves, secures, and sustains all those chosen in Christ before the creation of the universe."

"And so we must persevere in prayer for him"

Considering efficaciousness as something to desire, it applies to words as well. So I'll help you a bit on the above: "Paige Patterson does not agree with me." But Patterson does extend to Dr.Mohler with whom he does not agree, much respect. Were Dr. Patterson's words said as a blatant attack on Calvinism? I don't think so. I'll help you a bit again, Paige Patterson does not agree with you. Or you do not agree with him. It works both ways.

I encourage you whenever you find someone attacking Calvinism for the sake of Calvinism, bring on the attack dogs. But for someone to say they disagree with a particular point, is not the same and should not deserve the treatment given him here. Patterson is the advocate of the big tent theory of the BFM 2000, Patterson is the one who has stood between Mohler and a lot of convention folks who wanted his head, Patterson is the one Calvinist Baptists ought to be grateful to for their improved influence in the convention. Without him there never would have been an Al Mohler. But the disrespect shown him for not agreeing with you reflects poorly on those with critical words.

10:54 PM  
Blogger Christopher Redman said...

Mr. Grace,

Welcome. It is nice to have a balance of opinion from time to time. However, I've read scripturesearcher's comment again and frankly, he has not treated Dr. Patterson badly.

You are welcome to interact here in the future.

Blessings,
CR

12:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home