Thursday, September 14, 2006

Particular Redemption - Part 1 of 7

This post is to serve as an introduction to the subject of Particular Redemption with more indepth discussion on the subject to follow which will include 6 additional posts. Depending on the response and discussion that entail, I may add some follow-up posts to address some further views and objections raised.

May I make some introductory admissions and statements to the subject -
  1. I recognize that of all of the doctrines of grace, particular redemption is the most controversial.
  2. I further recognize that many, many godly men and women have fallen down on the side of general redemption. I'm not questioning their sincerety, there commitment to the Bible's revelation or authority, nor their motives.
  3. May I further state that I would not and do not divide fellowship with brothers in Christ who hold to a different position than I am presenting in this series of posts.

May I invite those who "choose" :-) to follow this series of posts to treat me with the same level of respect that I am willing to treat you.

To summarize the subject by way of introduction - Questions for consideration:

  1. For whom did Christ die? (Possible answers: For everyone, for no one, or for those who would believe.)
  2. For whom did Christ say that He died?
  3. Did Christ actually save anyone on the cross?
  4. Is Jesus actually a Savior or is He merely a potential Savior?
  5. For whom did Christ substitute Himself?
  6. Did Christ actually appease and propitiate the wrath of God against sinners on the cross?

Tom Nettles, professor of historical theology at Southern Seminary has made the following comments regarding particular redemption:

"In short, limited atonement (particular redemption) affirms that Jesus Christ in dying bore the sins of his people, enduring all the punishment that was due to them by becoming the curse that the law demanded. It pleased the Lord to bruise him for this purpose, for in so doing he gained - by his meritorious death - forgiveness, righteousness, sanctification, and eternal glory for a large and definite number of people, all of whom he knew and to whom he was joined before the foundation of the world."

I'm looking forward to some meaningful, theological discussion.

Blessings,

Chris

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home