Tuesday, July 18, 2006

"As Iron Sharpens Iron" - Blogging is Not for the Faint of Heart

"As iron sharpens iron, so a man sharpens the countenance of his friend" (Proverbs 27:17)

I have truly been amazed at the wide readership this blog has received in just a couple of short weeks. Wide readership is a relative term. More than 2 is exciting for me! I've had numerous comments from fellow bloggers from around the country and all have been positive and encouraging. Some of the comments have challenged me and stirred reflection.

I have had many family members (some saved and some not yet) , seminary friends, pastor friends, church members, my DOM, little old ladies, some not so little or so old (both ladies and gentleman), young preacher boys, calvinists, arminians, charismatics, confused sbc-ers (purported 'biblicists') and others. Many of the readers have not left public comments but have spoken to me in person or by email; many I don't know of and have know idea they have been here.

I've inserted this blog address in my church bulletin. I've attached a link to this blog on the signature of all of my email correspondence. I sent an email to as many as I know to inform them of this new blog. I've interacted with other blogs and some have followed my profile link back to here. Some of the blogs in which I have interacted have been theologically friendly and with some I have disagreed on biblical interpretation.

The inspiration for this particular post comes from a comment that my mom made to me. She said, "I've read your blog. I'm really impressed but I don't understand much of it. I guess it's just over my head." (Of course my mom would be impressed :-)

Please understand, public blogging on issues of faith and practice, biblical theology, sometimes controversial doctrines, and controversial events within and without the SBC is not for the faint of heart. This is the NFL of biblical debate, the International Olympics of theological discussion. Many (okay, most) of the readers and commenters are smarter than I. Many of them have multiple seminary degrees and even Phd's. So, public blogging is not for the faint of heart. Additionally, I've attached my complete name and photo to every comment made on other blog posts and on this blog. I own every comment and therefore I am also open to scrutiny. Down the road my statements and comments could be researched and quoted back to me, my church, my leaders, etc.

Blogging on subjects within the SBC has been very controversial this past year. Wade Burleson was nearly ousted from the International Mission Board's trustees because of posts he made. Bobby Welch commented on blogging during the presidential sermon this year. The NYT, the Atlanta Journal and Constitution and other major news outlets have published stories on the bloggers within the SBC. Some have speculated that the SBC bloggers changed the outcome of the vote on the new president of the SBC last month. I am beginning to sense that blogging within the SBC is like the national "new media" that started with Rush Limbaugh and Talk Radio during the 1980's. Information is now reported, circulated, and digested by the masses. No one, and I mean, no one has a monopoly on the truth or the news of the day. Time will tell where this all leads. Certainly God knows.

Blogging is not for the faint of heart but I can already see my own thoughts, biblical convictions, and the communication of my beliefs sharpening as a result of blogging. So, enjoy and check back often.

1 Comments:

Blogger 4given said...

... AMEN

7:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home