Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Concernedsbcer Quotes Me in "The Great Alcohol Debate"

I have not posted anything on the great debate on alcohol that continues to rage among the SBC bloggers. I am on record as stating that I'm tired of the subject and wish to move on now. But, nevertheless, I have ended up being quoted, not once but on two separate posts, on one of the most comprehensive alcohol debate blogs (http://concernedsbcer.blogspot.com) anywhere on the subject of alcohol.

By the way, this debate started on the floor of the SBC last month when the resolutions committee recommended a resolution be adopted by the messengers at the SBC which stated (basically) that Southern Baptists are totally opposed to all alcohol consumed as a beverage.

Here is where my name and some of my statements have been quoted - (click here). and also (here). The entire blog site can be viewed (here). The comments referenced with my name come from Dr. Brad Reynolds blog found (here) and (here).

For the record, I don't drink alcohol as a beverage. I think it is best for Christians not to. However, as a result of this ongoing debate, I have not been convinced that the Bible absolutely forbids all consumption of alcohol by Christians. In fact, the moderation argument has proven more consistent with the whole text of scripture. If you feel otherwise, fine. (I don't care!)

3 Comments:

Blogger Wayne Smith said...

CHRIS,
I know you have heard this before, but I PRAISE the LORD for your HEART for GOD'S TRUTH and defending that TRUTH.

You are not that far from RTS Seminary and 2 of my mentors Dr. Mark D. Futato and Dr. John M. Frame who teach at RTS.

They were both at Westminster, Escondido,CA. When we lived there they both taught Sunday School and Preached in our church.

Your Brother in CHRIST

10:33 PM  
Blogger Christopher Redman said...

Thank you my friend for your kind words. I have friends and acquaintances who attend RTS in Orlando. I hear fine things about the school. If the Lord leaves my here in Florida long enough, I may begin attending there in a few years in pursuit of a ThM.

I'm not ready for that yet but in time.

Blessings,
CR

1:53 PM  
Blogger Christopher Redman said...

Clai,

Thanks for stopping by. I feel your pain on this particular subject. This debate has gone much further than it should have. Unfortunately, various people (primarily Brad Reynolds) continue to push this divisive subject with enthusiasim as though they are rooting out heretics within the SBC.

I find it interesting you mentioned love because I was thinking about posting a follow up on this issue with same question. I'm preaching from John 13:34-35 this week. The text says:

"A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

God Bless,

CR

8:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home